If you follow me on Instagram (if not, do so here) you might have seen this picture of Ben sitting with my great aunt Beatrice. She turned 102 years old in June and Ben is 17 months, making them more than 100 years apart!
I always find it so amazing to see them together. They talk, laugh, and relate to one another even despite how very different their lives have been so far. It’s also pretty rare to have two people together in a photo who are more than a century apart. I’m sure it doesn’t happen very often! I mean, it’s not very often that someone actually lives to be 102! To top it all off, she still lives in her own home and is as sharp as a tack. When we got to her house that day, she opened the door and said “My boyfriend is here!” She loves to see Ben and he feels the same way about her.
I thought it would be fun to see all of the amazing things that Beatrice has seen in her life since 1912. When I’m with her, it’s hard to believe that she was alive and remembers many of these things happening.
- 1912 – The Titanic sank just 2 months before she was born
- 1914 – World War I begins
- 1918 – Spanish flu epidemic
- 1920 – Women gain rights
- 1928 – Penicillin is discovered
- 1930 – The Great Depression
- 1939 – World War II begins
- 1940 – The Holocaust
- 1945 – Atomic bombs are dropped
- 1955 – The Vietnam War
- 1961 – The first man in space
- 1969 – Man walks on the moon
- 1981 – Pope John Paul II assassination attempt
- 1989 – Fall of communism
- 1991 – Break up of the Soviet Union
- 2001 – September 11
- Chances are all of my readers have also been around at this point so I’m going to stop here haha!
I also found this video which is pretty awesome! If you have 10 mins to spare, it’s worth a watch. The world has come a long way since 1912.
This post may contain affiliate links. See here for more information.