I don’t know who it was that said “mommin’ ain’t easy” but they deserve some sort of a medal or at the very least, to drink a whole cup of coffee while it’s still hot. Or to pee without an audience. Or to eat without someone asking to have it. I could go on here but I’ll spare you from my rambling and get into some self care for moms.
Here’s the problem … we try to do it all. And the reality is that we just can’t. The house can’t always be perfect and the laundry can’t always be folded. The meals can’t always be from scratch and super healthy. We can’t always be perfectly patient and attentive with the kids. It’s just not real life and that’s ok! You’re tired. Your hair has a whole can of dry shampoo in it. You’re not going to be much good if you burn out or worse, break down. As the saying goes, you can’t fill from an empty cup and it’s so true. You’re not going to be able to help someone else if you don’t help yourself first. You’ll be a much better mom if you’re able to take care of yourself once in a while.
It can be really hard today with Pinterest perfection and Sanctimommies to be ok with taking a breather and giving yourself a break from the self judgement and doubt. We really are our own worst enemies a lot of the time and we can create the most ridiculous expectations for ourselves. It’s so important that we take a moment to sit down and practice a little bit of self care for moms. It doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive and it doesn’t have to take a lot of time. It would certainly be lovely if you could spend an entire day at a spa but that’s just not reality for many moms so here are a few things that I do to give myself a little boost.
Self Care for Moms
- Take a bubble bath – I love this one because it doesn’t cost you a thing! After the kids go to bed, run yourself a hot bath with lots of bubbles and maybe a glass of wine. Even just a 20 min soak can make a big difference in how relaxed you feel and I know that it makes me feel so pampered when I use a nice smelling bath bomb, a face mask or even just some lotion when I’m done. You can really go out and shave your legs if you want to!
- Get ready for the day – This one probably doesn’t apply for our working mama friends but if you work at home like I do, it can be really hard to work up the motivation to actually get dressed and ready for the day. I am NOT a morning person so staying in pajamas all day sounds great to me. However, when I do get dressed, do my hair, and slap some makeup on my face, it definitely gives me a little pep in my step and makes me feel a little more motivated to be productive and get shit done!
- Get outside – Sometimes, just getting out for a walk and a change of scenery can be very uplifting. Of course I have to live in eastern Canada so I generally don’t enjoy being outside all that much in the winter time but I LOVE sitting out in the summer time. There’s something so refreshing to me about sitting in the sun with a book while the kids run around and play outside.
- Have a hobby – Having a hobby that you love is so helpful in feeling like you have something that’s all your own. It can be reading, knitting, baking, painting, video games, or whatever it is that let’s you relax and enjoy yourself a little. Give yourself some time at least once a week to do something that you enjoy just for you. I go through phases in what I find relaxing. Sometimes it’s reading and sometimes it’s gaming but I also love to crochet. Fit it in where you can and it’ll help you feel a bit more like yourself.
- Eat a treat – Have some ice cream, chocolate, popcorn, or whatever appeals to you at the moment. Maybe it’s a treat to have a yummy tea while it’s still hot like it is for me! If it’s not something that you normally do, it can feel like a nice indulgence and pick-me-up. If I really want to treat myself, I make a decadent hot chocolate with marshmallows and whipped cream.
- Feel Beautiful – This one kind of goes along with getting ready for the day but goes a little bit deeper. Sometimes the things that make you feel beautiful are things you can see like some new nail polish or a sassy highlight. But other times, it’s something that’s just for you. Getting rid of your ratty old underwear and replacing them with some pretty new ones (still comfy, let’s not go crazy) can make you feel like a brand new woman! Upbra recently sent me a couple of bras to try and I am obsessed with the perfect t-shirt bra. It’s comfortable, beautiful, and can give me cleavage like you wouldn’t believe! It gives me some pep in my step for sure!
Is there something that you do for yourself that you love that I didn’t list here? What works for me might not work for you but I’d be willing to bet that someone out there has an idea that would hit the spot. These ideas don’t cost much and don’t have to take much of your time. Even the busiest mama can do a little something for herself every once in a while and it’ll have a very positive effect on her mental health. Take care of you, ladies!
Share your self care for moms ideas in the comments!
This post may contain affiliate links. See here for more information.