The other day, I had a spare hour or so and was feeling productive. I’ve been wanting to throw together a few easy freezer meals for a while now since I’m 8 months pregnant and figure it would be a good thing to have on hand for lazy days before and after baby arrives. I had about 1.5lbs of spare ground beef hanging around so I decided to make some easy, plain meatballs to freeze for different meals later on. I didn’t get this recipe from anywhere in particular and sort of made things up as I went along. Recipe coming up after the pics!
- 1.5lbs ground beef
- 2 eggs
- olive oil (just enough to saute onion & garlic)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 medium sized carrots (I use these to add some substance and sneak in some veggies!)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- oregano (and/or any other spices you like!)
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Finely chop onion ( I used my food chopper for this) and set aside
- Finely grate carrots and set aside
- In a frying pan, add olive oil, onion and mince garlic into the pan (I used my garlic press for this). Saute for a few minutes until onions are translucent and the flavours have a chance to come together.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients (including the onion & garlic) and mix well. It gets a little messy, but I find using my hands to really make sure everything is mixed works best.
- Form meatball mixture into whatever sized balls you’d like and place on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil (for quick and easy cleanup).
- Bake for 35-35 mins or until cooked through. Turn meatballs once while baking.
- Let cool, then pop into freezer bags and put in the freezer. Don’t forget to write the date on the bag!
Based on the size of meatballs that I made, this recipe yielded about 50 meatballs. I plan to use these in the slow cooker later on with sweet & sour sauce, honey garlic sauce, spaghetti sauce, or whatever tickles my fancy at the time!
This post may contain affiliate links. See here for more information.