I may have mentioned here before that while I was pregnant, we decided that we would cloth diaper Ben once he arrived. He’s been here for quite some time now and I am feeling more confident and happy with our decision than ever! We weighed the pros and cons very heavily and decided that, for us, cloth diapering made sense. And it still does now that we’ve been doing it for almost 8 months. There have been some bumps along the way and we had to try a few different things but we’ve come to a point where it’s easy, cost effective, environmentally friendly, and just plain cute!! Here are some reasons why we do it and why we love it.
- Ben has never had a diaper rash! I read somewhere that in 1955 , 100% of American babies were cloth diapered and only 7% experienced diaper rash. In 1991, 10% wore cloth, 90% wore disposable and 78% experienced diaper rash! I’m not saying that disposables cause diaper rash, but statistics like that are hard to dispute. Want to see more stats?
- It’s really cost effective! On average, it will cost a few thousand dollars in disposable diapers from birth to potty training. I think we paid about $400 for our stash of about 40 diapers. We’re planning on having more than one child and will use our diapers again. That doubles our savings. If you know my husband, you’ll know how much he hates to spend money unnecessarily! Here’s a calculator in case I’m not convincing you.
- It’s more environmentally friendly. Yes, you are using energy to use the washing machine, but it’s nothing compared to the number of YEARS that it takes a disposable diaper to decompose and break down in a landfill.
- We have never experienced the dreaded “blowout” with Ben. All my friends have told me horror stories of poopy blowout diapers while out in public and that just hasn’t happened to us. Maybe we’re just lucky and it has nothing to do with cloth, but I’ll take it!
- They are sooooo cute!! They come in so many different colours and patterns. There are pretty, ruffly pink ones and cool super hero ones! Ben has a Spiderman one that I just love and my cousin has a camo print one for her son.
- You can find the perfect fit. There are so many different styles, sizes, and materials that you are bound to find a cloth diaper that fits your child like a glove! The diapers that we use have los of sizing snaps so he has been wearing them since birth. We can keep adjusting which snaps we use as he grows so that we’re always getting the perfect fit.
- They are NO extra work than disposables. Modern cloth diapers go on and off your baby the exact same way as disposables and I already do at least one load of laundry daily anyway so I don’t find my work load any different or more time consuming.
These are just a few of the reasons that I can think of right now and I know that I will be adding to this list! I certainly don’t judge anyone who chooses to use disposable diapers. I used them on Ben for a few days while my Mom and I took him on our shopping trip so that we wouldn’t have to take up room in the trunk with a bag of dirty diapers. It didn’t make things easier for me and I didn’t come home wanting to switch. People need to do what works for their family and if that means disposables, that’s great! This is just what works for us!
This post may contain affiliate links. See here for more information.